What would be the number of devices used in the digital universe? Unimaginable. These devices can be laptops, tabs, mobile devices, printers, servers, smartwatches, etc. All these help us live in a connected world; they also make us feel we are not distant anymore, from one other. Connectivity is possible when these devices are in a network. A device is an endpoint when connected to a network. An endpoint is a popular entry point of hackers. They target the endpoints more often as they are considered the weakest link in the enterprise network and are easy to infiltrate. Securing the endpoint is even more important when the business network is accessed for remote work. Tackling sophisticated threat vectors by having an antivirus within an endpoint will not suffice. Antivirus does not offer multiple layers of security and is incapable of meeting changing security perimeters. To overcome such limitations, there is an urgent need to provide comprehensive protection for every single endpoint in the network from every possible perceivable threat.
Here are a few prominent differences between antivirus and endpoint detection & response solutions:
|Antivirus software||Endpoint Detection & Response|
|Manual interventions required to investigate threats. Relies on the user for antivirus updates.||Cloud based centralized console for remote monitoring of traffic, patch updates, software configurations, and fix issues. Large scale management of endpoints. Enables integration of numerous endpoints.|
|Inability to mitigate internal data theft by employees.||Data encryption and access controls to prevent unauthorized data access.|
|Customizable based on threat profile. Provides advanced capabilities to ensure authorized access to apps & websites, block access to critical assets & data, monitor employee activity & behavior.|
|Signature-based & can detect only known threats.||Total protection against phishing attacks, signatureless and fileless attacks such as malware, ransomware.|
|Secures only one endpoint.||Comprehensive visibility of all endpoints in the network.|
|If the user hasn’t updated the antivirus, the system can face serious risks.||Automated updates and not user-controlled, this helps in unveiling suspicious user behaviors or malicious threats with more surety.|
Due to the exquisite brilliance hackers use to gain access to ensure a breach, every vulnerability must be analyzed, detected, and contained. Today, security administrators must be empowered with powerful endpoint security platforms. They should have situational awareness on the current threat levels faced by the organization and how it is changing in real-time, helping them to disrupt the attack kill chain, filter alerts, segregate incidents, and prioritize how to contain and remediate threats. Advanced endpoint protection leverages Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to analyze the latest threat intelligence data. It offers integrated multistage defenses for mitigating sophisticated threats by rapidly detecting any anomaly and stop attacker movement at any stage of the breach.
Some of the critical features of cloud-based endpoint detection & response solutions include:
- Easy to manage, infinitely scalable, faster time to value, and low operational overheads. Instantly operationalizable.
- Total visibility and deep dive analysis enabling easier identification of stealth attacks.
- Continuous monitoring of endpoint activity to capture every event and detail required for rapid investigation and forensic analysis.
- Automated attacker activity detection and real-time visibility of every endpoint activity.
- Proactive threat hunting, incident investigation, and response capabilities.
- Behavioral analytics for real time event analysis and automated detection of suspicious behaviors.
- Process tree-based display & description of every attack for easy understanding and faster investigation.
- Reduced dwell time to reduce silent failures and accelerate time-to-remediate.
- Accelerated security operations for rapid detection and response.
- Alerts mapped to MITRE Adversarial Tactics, Techniques, and Common Knowledge for faster understanding & detection of complex attacks.
- Easy interoperability with other security tools and platforms.
- Automated incident triage for smarter prioritization of alerts.
Enterprises can leverage complete, turnkey endpoint security solutions as a managed service. Managed endpoint detection and response services can significantly reduce the challenges of round the clock endpoint monitoring by using the expertise of security operations experts. These experts use advanced solutions and contextualized threat intel to secure enterprise endpoints from day one at lower costs. A managed EDR service is customized to your endpoint threat profile and deployed after gathering enough inputs from stakeholders, network teams, network architecture & IP schema, and UAT testing, etc.
Key focus of a managed EDR team includes:
- Root cause and impact analysis, security policy updates.
- 24x7 endpoint security monitoring for threat detection, validation, and response.
- Speedy and skilled incident investigation and response based on the severity.
- Response for infected systems, granular response like killing a process, reboot, disabling the internet or USB, or shutting down the system.
- Coordination with OEM for product-related issues
- Monthly reports on the performance status of the service.
Managed EDR services reduce complexity in operations through the consolidation of security services to bring in significant savings. There is also improved agility, which is a result of broader visibility of managed and unmanaged endpoint devices. Enterprise security support team dependency is reduced through AI-ML technologies, leading to increased workforce efficiency. More importantly, there is a drastic reduction in threat containment time with no false-positive alerts.
Protecting endpoints is a necessity in today’s world of remote work. If you are keen to secure you enterprise endpoints, please do get in touch with Aujas endpoint experts at email@example.com.